School Cadet Corps
The Coopers’ Cadet Corps was formed in Autumn 1911, and within one term numbers had already reached 130 cadets. The cadets met on Saturdays under the instruction of Sergeant-Major James, and Saturday morning parades took place at regular intervals. With the advent of the Great War the importance of the Cadet Corps was highlighted with the numbers of Coopers’ boys who took up arms. 379 old boys and one master of the school enlisted in all three services: 118 were killed or died of their wounds. Only 38 of these young men have a known grave, and the remaining 80 names are recorded on the memorials across Europe and beyond. Their average age was 20. There were two recipients of the Military Cross, and one recipient of the Military Medal. The roll of honour was moved from The Coopers’ Company’s School in Tredegar Square to the current building, where it enjoys pride of place. The school has a comprehensive book written on “Coopers’ Boys & Coborn Girls: Their part in the Great War” – copies are held in the school archives.