Coborn Girls in Lessons
In the 1900s the school was recognised by the Board of Education and the number of free scholars gradually increased. Lesson provision included English and Maths, Humanities and Religious Education. Science and Domestic Science lessons only became widespread once purpose-built facilities were developed. A purpose-built gymnasium was planned in 1913, but not built until 1930 due to the deprivations caused by the First World War. There were at this time senior and junior literary societies, a ramblers’ club, a new sketching club as well as a flourishing school magazine – copies of this are held in the school archives.